Search This Blog

Monday, August 6, 2012

Beach Books


NPR recently released a list of the Best Beach Books Ever.  Now one of my favorite things about summer is reading on the beach and I have been squeezing in as much beach time as possible during these last few weeks of summer. I've been reading a little for work and a little for fun...So here is the short list of what I've been up to...


My professional reading included: 


1) Getting to Got It
     By Betty Gardner 

Our entire staff read this book over the summer. It has lots and lots of great information about how students learn and comprehend new material. There is a TON of great information in this book. I especially loved the summaries at the end of each chapter which highlighted simple ways that you can help your students develop cognitive structures. 


2) Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis

So many, many great ideas in this book! I can't wait to use some of these strategies during the school year. Super engaging ideas that can easily be incorporated to any reading program. 


3) What Every Fifth Grade Teacher Needs to Know (What Every Teacher Needs to Know K-5)by Mike Anderson 


This is a great little book based on the Responsive Classroom . The author focused on the physical, emotional and social needs of 5th grade students and ways that a classroom teacher can meet these needs. It's a super easy read with lots of practical ideas. The series has a book for each grade level. 

And just for fun: 

4) Girls in White Dresses
     By Jennifer Close

I loved this book! For me it was the perfect summer read. Lighthearted with good characters and just enough humor. It follows a group of twenty somethings as they transition from college life to the professional world. 


5) Swapping Lives
    By Jane Green 

I have to say that this was not my favorite Jane Green book, but it was still a fun read. Green intertwines the stories of two women living very different lives in two different countries. Loved the juxtaposition of suburban Connecticut and fast-paced London! :) 

What have ya'll been reading???

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of blogland! I am so happy that you are here! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...